Work Visa requirements
In terms Section 19 (2) of the South Africa Immigration Act No.13 of 2002, persons who intend to be employed in South Africa are required to obtain a General Work visa.
Please note: Provisional Airline bookings may be made for the proposed departure date, however, the Mission advised that payments should NOT be made in the event of an unsuccessful application. The processing time is twenty one (21) working days from receipt of application if application is complete.
In order to obtain the required permit, the following documentation is required:
From the applicant:
- Duly completed application form signed by the applicant - Form DHA-1738
- One photograph. Finger prints form.
- A valid machine readable Passport / Travel Document valid for no less than (30) days after the expiry of the intended visit with three (3) completely blank pages. Machine readable passports which have been manually extended are not accepted for visas and for travel purposes.
- A vaccination certificate if applicant travelled through the yellow fever belt of Africa and South America
- Proof of financial means in the form of:
- bank statements
- cash available, or travellers' cheques (to cover envisaged living expenses until the applicant receives a salary)
- Medical and radiological reports. Radiology reports not necessary for pregnant women and children 12 years and below
- Police clearance certificate(s) in respect of all applicants 18 years or older, in respect of countries where person(s) resided one (1) year or longer
- A certified copy of your Marriage certificate or completed affidavit in the case of life partners (if spouse/partner traveling with applicant)
- Certified copy of unabridged birth certificates of minor dependant children (if traveling with applicant)
- Divorce decree (if applicable)
- Proof of legal separation (if applicable)
- Proof of custody/adoption/guardianship (if applicable)
- Consent from parent(s) (if applicable)
- Death certificate in the case of spouse (if applicable)
- Contract of employment signed by both applicant and employer, stipulating conditions of employment
- Original proof of qualifications and evaluation thereof by the South African Qualifications Authority
- Translation into English of all documentation by a sworn translator (proof of registration of translator)
- A certificate from the Department of Labor confirming that despite a diligent search, the prospective employer has been unable to find a suitable citizen or permanent resident with qualifications or skills and experience equivalent to those of the applicant; the applicant has qualifications or proven skills and experience in line with the job offer; the salary and benefits of the applicant are not inferior to the average salary and benefits of citizens or permanent residents occupying similar positions in the Republic;
- Undertaking to register with the professional body, board or council in the RSA (where applicable)
- Letter of registration, where required by a law, from the relevant professional body/board/council
- Full particulars of the employer, including, where applicable, proof of registration of the business with the Commission on Intellectual Property and Companies (CIPC); an undertaking by the employer to inform the Director-General should the applicant not comply with the provisions of the Act or conditions of the visa. The contract of employment stipulating the conditions of employment and signed by both the employer and the applicant.
- Non refundable fee of AUD 167.00 payment has to be made by way of a postal money order or bank cheque payable to the South African High Commission. Personal cheques or credit cards are NOT accepted. Incorrect payment will not be accepted.
Submission of applications:
According to the new Regulations an application for any visa referred to in section 11 up to and including sections 20 and 22 of the Act must submit his or her application in person to the:
South African High Commission
Phone: (02) 6272 7300
Web Address: www.sahc.org.au
Please bring a self-addressed registered or express post envelope along with the application.
Processing time is twenty one (21) working days from receipt of application if application is complete.
For further information, please contact this Mission between 08:30 am and 12:00 pm Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST), Monday to Friday.