Volunteer Visitor Visa
Persons wishing to do UNPAID voluntary or charitable activities in South Africa i.e foreigners who are attached to Non-Governmental Organizations and charitable organizations such as Red Cross, Oxfam and Gift of the Givers, Doctors beyond Borders may apply under this category for a period not exceeding three years; Persons receiving payment, salary or wages of any nature will require a Work Permit.
To be able to obtain the necessary Permit from this Mission, the following documentation is required:
- Duly completed application Form
DHA-1738 (signed by the applicant)
- A valid machine readable Passport / Travel Document valid for no less than (30) days after the expiry of the intended visit with three (3) completely blank pages. Machine readable passports which have been manually extended are not accepted for visas and for travel purposes.
- One photograph. Finger prints form.
- Non refundable fee of AUD 47.00 payment has to be made by way of a postal money order or bank cheque payable to the South African High Commission. Personal cheques or credit cards are NOT accepted. Incorrect payment will not be accepted.
- A vaccination certificate, if travelled through the yellow fever belt of South America or Africa
- Proof of sufficient funds by means of recently certified bank statements for the last 3 (three) months (including a day or two before application is submitted - minimum of ZAR 3000.00 per month per person) / cash available / travellers cheques.
- Applicants must be in possession of a return / onward ticket or a written confirmation from the organisation in South Africa undertaking repatriation guarantee on completion of the volunteers assignment.
- Police clearance certificate in respect of each country the applicant lived since the age of 18
- Medical and radiological reports. Radiology reports not necessary for pregnant women and children 12 years and below
- A letter from the organisation in South Africa where the services will be rendered, confirming the nature and period of the services as well as confirming that it is not a paid post
Submission of applications:
According to the new Regulations an application for any visa referred to in section 11 up to and including sections 20 and 22 of the Act must submit his or her application in person to the:
South African High Commission
Phone: (02) 6272 7300
Web Address: www.sahc.org.au
Please bring a self-addressed registered or express post envelope along with the application.
Processing time is twenty one (21) working days from receipt of application if application is complete.
For further information, please contact this Mission between 08:30 am and 12:00 pm Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST), Monday to Friday.