Volunteer Visitor Visa
All visa applications have to be lodged in person at the mission in Canberra by prior appointment only.
Foreigners 18 years and older who wish to undertake non-remunerative volunteer or charitable activities with bona fide Non Profitable / Charitable Organisations in South Africa may apply for a visa under this category for a period not exceeding three years; Persons receiving payment, salary or wages of any nature will require a Work Permit. Persons volunteering for under 90 days would apply for a visitor's visa.
To be able to obtain the necessary Permit from this Mission, the following documentation is required:
- Duly completed application Form
DHA-1738 (signed by the applicant)
- A valid machine readable Passport / Travel Document valid for no less than (30) days after the expiry of the intended visit with three (3) completely blank pages. Machine readable passports which have been manually extended are not accepted for visas and for travel purposes.
- One photograph.
- Non refundable fee of AUD 47.00 payment has to be made by way of a postal money order or bank cheque payable to the South African High Commission. Personal cheques or credit cards are NOT accepted. Incorrect payment will not be accepted.
- A vaccination certificate, if travelled through the yellow fever belt of South America or Africa
- Proof of sufficient funds by means of recently certified bank statements for the last 3 (three) months (including a day or two before application is submitted - minimum of ZAR 3000.00 per month per person) / cash available / travellers cheques. Applicant has to provide proof of his/her own financial means. Financial guarantees supporting proof of funds from host / parent organisation will not be accepted.
- Flight reservations (provisional bookings only): flights to correspond with dates on invitation letter from host organization.
- A police clearance certificate issued by the police authority in each country where the applicant resided for 12 months or longer since having attained the age of 18 years, in respect of criminal records or the character of the applicant, and this certificate shall not be older than six (6) months at the time of its submission. Police clearance (name check) must be obtained from the Police authorities of the country concerned, police clearance certificates from other agencies will not be accepted.
- Medical and radiological reports. Radiology reports not necessary for pregnant women and children 12 years and below which shall not be older than six (6) months at the time of its submission.
- Confirmation on letterhead by host organization in South Africa (Non Profitable Organisation / Charitable Organisation), the nature of the voluntary service to be provided, period of stay and confirmation that it is not a paid post. Financial guarantees supporting proof of funds from host organisation will not be accepted.
- Written undertaking from applicant that after your voluntary service you will not accept work in South Africa and leave the country (stating date of departure from South Africa).
- Proof of accommodation for the duration of stay in South Africa.
- Financial undertaking or support by a foreigner (parents / spouse of an applicant who is not a South African citizen) is no longer recognized in terms of the South African Immigration Regulations.
Submission of applications:
According to the new Regulations an application for any visa referred to in section 11 up to and including sections 20 and 22 of the Act must submit his or her application in person to the:
South African High Commission
Phone: (02) 6272 7300
Web Address: www.sahc.org.au
Please bring a self-addressed registered or express post envelope along with the application.
Processing time is twenty one (21) working days from receipt of application if application is complete.
For further information, please contact this Mission between 08:30 am and 12:00 pm Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST), Monday to Friday.