All visa applications have to be lodged in person at the mission in Canberra by prior appointment only.
A treaty visa may be issued to a foreigner conducting activities in the Republic in terms of an international agreement to which the Republic is a party.
In order to obtain the required permit, the following documentation is required from the applicant:
- Duly completed application form signed by the applicant - Form DHA-1738
- One photograph.
- A valid machine readable Passport / Travel Document valid for no less than (30) days after the expiry of the intended visit with three (3) completely blank pages. Machine readable passports which have been manually extended are not accepted for visas and for travel purposes.
- A vaccination certificate if applicant travelled through the yellow fever belt of Africa and South America.
- Proof of financial means in the form of:
- bank statements
- cash available, or travellers' cheques (to cover envisaged living expenses until the applicant receives a salary)
- Medical and radiological reports. Radiology reports not necessary for pregnant women and children 12 years and below
- Police clearance certificate(s) in respect of all applicants 18 years or older, in respect of countries where person(s) resided one (1) year or longer
- A certified copy of your Marriage certificate / Divorce decree / Proof of legal separation.
- A letter from the relevant organ of state involved in the agreement attesting to the:
- Nature of the program and the treaty under which it is conducted;
- Participation of the foreigner in the mentioned programme;
- Type of activities the foreigner is expected to perform under the agreement and the duration of the project;
- Accommodation of a foreigner;
- Any other relevant details pertaining to the foreigner‘s stay in the Republic;
- Written undertaking by the sending or receiving organ of state accepting responsibility for the costs related to the deportation of the applicant and his or her accompanying dependent family members, should it become necessary.
- Non refundable fee of AUD 47.00 payment to be made by way of a postal money order or bank cheque payable to the South African High Commission. Personal cheques or credit cards are NOT accepted. Incorrect payment will not be accepted.
Submission of applications:
According to the new Regulations an application for any visa referred to in section 11 up to and including sections 20 and 22 of the Act must submit his or her application in person to the:
South African High Commission
Phone: (02) 6272 7300
Web Address: www.sahc.org.au
Please bring a self-addressed registered or express post envelope along with the application.
Processing time is twenty one (21) working days from receipt of application if application is complete.
For further information, please contact this Mission between 08:30 am and 12:00 pm Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST), Monday to Friday.