All visa applications have to be lodged in person at the mission in Canberra by prior appointment only.
Temporary Study Permit
Persons wishing to complete their medical elective term at a hospital in South Africa are required to be in the possession of a study permit.
ALL the following documentation must be submitted:
- Form DHA-1738. Application must be completed and signed in black ink only.
- A valid machine readable Passport / Travel Document valid for no less than (30) days after the expiry of the intended visit with three (3) completely blank pages. Machine readable passports which have been manually extended are not accepted for visas and for travel purposes.
- One (1) photograph of applicant.
- Medical and radiological reports. Radiology reports not necessary for pregnant women and children 12 years and below. Report must not be older than 6 months.
- A letter from the university or hospital which the applicant is currently attending stating that the student is enrolled as a medical student.
- A certified copy of the Certificate of Registration from the South African Health Professionals Council.
PLEASE NOTE: In terms of the Medical, Dental and Supplementary Health Service Professions Act (Act 56 of 1974), it is a CRIMINAL OFFENCE to practice as a medical practitioner or intern or as a dentist in South Africa unless registered as such with the South African Health Professionals Council.
- A letter from the University or Hospital in South Africa confirming that the student has been accepted to complete their medical term at that institution;
- Details regarding arranged accommodation, if any;
- That the applicant has sufficient funds to cover tuition fees, maintenance and incidental costs.
- A police clearance certificate for all applicants 18 years of age or older, in respect of all previous countries of residence for periods exceeding one (1) year, to be submitted within six (6) months of the application if not immediately available. Police clearance (name check) must be obtained from the Police authorities of the country concerned, police clearance certificates from other agencies will not be accepted.
- Copy of a travel itinerary (PRELIMINARY BOOKING ONLY, PLEASE DO NOT
MAKE FIRM TRAVEL BOOKINGS).
- Yellow fever certificates are required if the journey starts or entails passing through the yellow fever belt of Africa or South America.
- Non refundable fee of AUD 47.00 payment to be made by way of a postal money order or bank cheque payable to the South African High Commission. Personal cheques or credit cards are NOT accepted. Incorrect payment will not be accepted.
Submission of applications:
According to the new Regulations an application for any visa referred to in section 11 up to and including sections 20 and 22 of the Act must submit his or her application in person to the:
South African High Commission
Phone: (02) 6272 7300
Web Address: www.sahc.org.au
Please bring a self-addressed registered or express post envelope along with the application.
Processing time is twenty one (21) working days from receipt of application if application is complete.
For further information, please contact this Mission between 08:30 am and 12:00 pm Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST), Monday to Friday.