In terms Section 22 (a) (b) of the South Africa Immigration Act No.13 of 2002 in respect of persons who intend to participate in an Exchange Program are required to obtain an Exchange Visa.
PLEASE NOTE: Provisional Airline bookings may be made for the proposed departure date, however, the Mission advised that payments should NOT be made in the event of an unsuccessful application. The processing time is twenty one (21) working days from receipt of application if application is complete.
In the case of a learning institution in the Republic, in conjunction with a foreign education and training institution or a foreign state institution organizing or administering the program, submit a letter from:
- The Department of Basic Education or Higher Education and Training or a learning institution in the Republic confirming that it is responsible for organizing or administering the existence of the program, outlining the activities, terms and conditions and duration thereof and accepting full responsibility for the student while he or she is in the Republic; and
- The foreign state institution or education and training institution confirming the particulars of the applicant, the applicant's enrolment with the foreign education and training institution, and the date on which the program shall commence.
In the case of a program of cultural, economic or social exchange, organised or administered by an organ of state or a learning institution, in conjunction with a foreign education and training institution or a foreign state institution, submit a letter from:
- The organ of state or foreign education and training institution confirming the existence of the exchange program ; or
- The foreign education and training institution confirming the enrolment of the applicant or the foreign state institution conducting the program, as the case may be.
- Duly completed application form signed by the applicant - Form DHA-1738
- A valid machine readable Passport / Travel Document valid for no less than (30) days after the expiry of the intended visit with three (3) completely blank pages. Machine readable passports which have been manually extended are not accepted for visas and for travel purposes.
- Non refundable fee of AUD 47.00 payment has to be made by way of a postal money order or bank cheque payable to the South African High Commission. Personal cheques or credit cards are NOT accepted. Incorrect payment will not be accepted
- One Photograph. Finger prints (form SAP 91).
Proof of financial means in the form of:
- a three months bank statement;
- cash available to the applicant/ traveller's cheques;
- undertaking to the learning institution for payment of all fees and accommodation from a bursary scheme or scholarship or parents;
- proof of medical cover renewed with a medical scheme registered in terms of the Medical Schemes Act / undertaking to have medical cover for the full duration of the period of study
- Applicants must be in possession of a return or onward ticket or lodge a cash deposit
- Medical and radiological reports. Radiology reports not necessary for pregnant women and children 12 years and below.
- Police clearance certificate(s) in respect of all applicants 18 years or older, in respect of countries where person resided one (1) year or longer.
Submission of applications:
According to the new Regulations an application for any visa referred to in section 11 up to and including sections 20 and 22 of the Act must submit his or her application in person to the:
South African High Commission
Phone: (02) 6272 7300
Web Address: www.sahc.org.au
Please bring a self-addressed registered or express post envelope along with the application.
Processing time is twenty one (21) working days from receipt of application if application is complete.
For further information, please contact this Mission between 08:30 am and 12:00 pm Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST), Monday to Friday.