Critical Skills Work Visa
All visa applications have to be lodged in person at the mission in Canberra by prior appointment only.
In terms of sections 19(1) of the Immigration Act, 2002 (Act No. 13 of 2002) read with regulation 18(5), foreigners who fall within a specific professional category or occupational class as determined by the Minister of Home Affairs, may apply for a Critical Skills Work Visa.
Please Note: Provisional Airline bookings may be made for the proposed departure date, however, the Mission advised that payments should NOT be made in the event of an unsuccessful application.
The processing time is twenty one (21) working days from receipt of application if application is complete.
An application for a critical skills work visa shall be accompanied by proof that the applicant falls within the critical skills category
In order to obtain the required permit, the following documentation is required:
- Duly completed application form signed by the applicant ? form DHA-1738
- One (1) photograph of applicant.
- A valid machine readable Passport / Travel Document valid for no less than (30) days after the expiry of the intended visit with three (3) completely blank pages. Machine readable passports which have been manually extended are not accepted for visas and for travel purposes.
- A vaccination certificate if applicant travelled through the yellow fever belt of Africa and South America.
- Proof of sufficient funds by means of recently certified bank statements for the last 3 (three) months (including a day or two before application is submitted - minimum of ZAR 3000.00 per month per person) / cash available / travellers cheques - to cover envisaged living expenses until the applicant receives a salary.
- Medical and radiological reports. Radiology reports not necessary for pregnant women and children 12 years and below
- Police clearance certificate(s) in respect of all applicants 18 years or older, in respect of countries where person(s) resided one (1) year or longer.
- A certified copy of your Marriage certificate or spousal affidavit in the case of life partners (if spouse / partner traveling with applicant)
- Certified copy of Divorce decree / Proof of legal separation / Death certificate (if applicable).
- Certified copies of qualifications
- Proof of evaluation of the foreign qualification by SAQA and translated by a sworn translator into one of the official languages of the Republic.
- If required by law, proof of application for a certificate of registration with the professional body, council or board recognized by SAQA in terms of section 13(1)(i)of the National Qualifications Framework Act; and
- A confirmation, in writing, from the professional body, council or board recognized by SAQA in terms of section 13(1)(i) of the National Qualifications Framework Act, or any relevant government Department confirming the skills or qualifications of the applicant and appropriate post qualification experience;
- Non refundable fee of AUD 167.00 payment to be made by way of a postal money order or bank cheque payable to the South African High Commission. Personal cheques or credit cards are NOT accepted. Incorrect payment will not be accepted.
In case of incorrect payment the cheque or postal money order will be returned to applicant.
The quota work permit remains valid for as long as the permit holder is employed within the area of expertise and permit holders are required to report to the Department of Home Affairs on an annual basis in order to confirm that they continue to be employed in their designated professions.
Submission of applications:
According to the new Regulations an application for any visa referred to in section 11 up to and including sections 20 and 22 of the Act must submit his or her application in person to the:
South African High Commission
Phone: (02) 6272 7300
Web Address: www.sahc.org.au
Please bring a self-addressed registered or express post envelope along with the application.
Processing time is twenty one (21) working days from receipt of application if application is complete.
For further information, please contact this Mission between 08:30 am and 12:00 pm Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST), Monday to Friday.