Academics, Researchers and Sabbaticals
All visa applications have to be lodged in person at the mission in Canberra by prior appointment only.
Persons wishing to travel to South Africa as a visiting academic or on a sabbatical, require a visitor's visa.
- Application Form DHA-1738. Application must be completed and signed in black ink only.
- Non refundable fee of AUD 47.00 payment has to be made by way of a postal money order or bank cheque payable to the South African High Commission. Personal cheques or credit cards are NOT accepted. Incorrect payment will not be accepted.
- A valid machine readable Passport / Travel Document valid for no less than (30) days after the expiry of the intended visit with three (3) completely blank pages. Machine readable passports which have been manually extended are not accepted for visas and for travel purposes.
- One photograph.
- Medical and radiological reports. Radiology reports not necessary for pregnant women and children 12 years and below. Report must not be older than 6 months.
- Police clearance certificate(s) in respect of all applicants 18 years or older, in respect of countries where person(s) resided one (1) year or longer. Report must not be older than 6 months. Police clearance (name check) must be obtained from the Police authorities of the country concerned, police clearance certificates from other agencies will not be accepted.
- Yellow fever certificate (if your journey starts or entails you passing through yellow fever endemic countries of Africa and South America)
- A letter from the host organization or institution in South Africa, confirming enrolment
- A letter from the foreign academic institution, confirming enrolment
- Complete Curriculum vitae and proof of qualifications / testimonials.
- Proof of sufficient funds by means of recently certified bank statements for the last 3 (three) months (including a day or two before application is submitted - minimum of ZAR 3000.00 per month per person) / cash available / travellers cheques.
- Copy of travel itinerary. (Preliminary booking only, please do not make firm travel bookings)
- Entry will not be permitted on a one-way flight ticket,
unless the person is in possession of a valid Temporary Permit issued for 12
months or longer, a Permanent Residence Permit or an appropriate visa.
- Proof of accommodation.
Submission of applications:
According to the new Regulations an application for any visa referred to in section 11 up to and including sections 20 and 22 of the Act must submit his or her application in person to the:
South African High Commission
Phone: (02) 6272 7300
Web Address: www.sahc.org.au
Please bring in a self-addressed registered or express post envelope along with the application.
Processing time is twenty one (21) working days from receipt of application if application is complete. Incomplete or outstanding documentation will delay your application.
For further information, please contact this Mission between 08:30 am and 12:00 pm Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST), Monday to Friday.