Application for the alteration of the Surname of a Minor

Section 17 of The Children's Act (Act No. 38 of 2005) stipulates that a child becomes a major upon reaching the age of 18 years.

These guidelines are for amendments in terms of Section 25(1)(a) and Section 25(1)(b) of the Births and Deaths Registration Act, 1992.

This application is to change the surname of a minor (child) as it appears in the National Population Register.

Application for any correction of wrong particulars, re-registration of a birth, insertion of the biological father's particulars, change of the surname of a major, change of forename(s) of a minor or major, is different and the applicable guidelines should be consulted.

There are two types of surname changes explained below: Please follow the guidelines to the one applicable.

A child known by the surname of the man the mother married after the death or divorce of the biological father

The following documentation is required:

  1. Completion of forms BI-193 and BI-529.
  2. New notice of Birth BI-24.
  3. Certified copy of the parents divorce order or the biological father's death certificate.
  4. Written consent from biological father (if still alive) or court order granting exemption from such consent.
  5. Written consent from stepfather whose surname is to be used.
  6. Copy of marriage certificate (present marriage).

A child born out of wedlock and who is now known by the surname of the man whom the mother married

  1. Completion of form BI-193 and BI-529.
  2. New notice of Birth BI-24.
  3. Written consent to the change from the man whom the mother married and whose surname the child will henceforth carry.
  4. Certified copy of the current marriage certificate.

Application Fee: Non-refundable fee of AUD 6.00 per application.

Payment must be in Australian Dollars (AUD) made out to the "South African High Commission" by way of Postal Money Order or Bank Cheque.

Personal cheques or credit cards are NOT accepted. ONE bank cheque or Postal Money Order for the total amount / whole family is preferred. Incorrect payment will not be accepted; in case of incorrect payment the cheque or postal money order will be returned to applicant.

Return Postage

  • For applications originating from within Australia - a Self-addressed Registered Post Envelope (only one envelope per family).

Forms may be down loaded from or

Postal Address:

South African High Commission
State Circle

« back

South African Flag